Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nutty Granola



This is super easy to make and yummy. I love to put some on my yogurt.


8 cups oats
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups chopped Almonds (I used roasted Almonds)
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups rice crispies cereal
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil
2 Tbsp vanilla (I have als used Almond Extract. Both are very good)

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Heat honey, brown sugar, water, and oil in a saucepan till sugar is dissolved. Add vanilla and pour over oat mixture. Stir till well coated. Divide between 2 greased 15x10" cookie sheets with sides. Bake at 275 for one hour, stirring after 30 minutes. Cool and store in airtight container. You can also add raisins, dates, craisins, or any other dried fruit after the granola is cool.


Notes:
--You can use all honey or all brown sugar, this is just the combination my family likes.
--I use extra virgin coconut oil in this recipe because it is really good for you. It speeds your metabolism, strengthens your immune system, reduces your risk of heart disease.

No comments: