Monday, February 16, 2009

Honey Wheat Rolls

Here you go Lori!

Since Colby is gone most of the day on Sundays, the boys and I have started our own little Sunday activity. It is making bread. The boys get to grind the wheat and do most of the measuring. This has been very challenging for me to see flower dumped on the floor and the measuring not exact. I have to just keep telling myself that we are doing this to have fun with each other.

This recipe makes a dozen rolls. I usually triple it.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pkg dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water
2 cups bread flour, divided
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbs. honey
2 1/2 tbs. butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 1/2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, honey, butter, and salt to yeast mixture; stir until well blended. Add 1/4 cup bread flour; stir until a soft dough forms.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).

Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Make rolls however you want. Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until doubled in size.

Uncover dough. Combine 1 tablespoon water and egg; brush over rolls. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes of until lightly browned. Serve warm

Sorry there are no pictures.

2 comments:

Michelle Ashton said...

I have a bread recipe like this. I wonder if it's the same?

I just made some sour cream rolls today and they were yummy. I will have to post the recipe. It was easy.

Michelle Ashton said...

I checked it.. The only differnce is mine has vegetable oil instead of the butter.

I will have to try this one. :)