Thursday, January 1, 2009

Chocolate Cake in Jars

Ok with my obession for getting my food supply stocked up, this is what I did today. I even remembered to take pictures. :) You can use ANY cake recipe.. Box or from scratch. I hardly ever buy cake mixes because from scratch is so much better. ANYWAY~ Just make the cake batter according to the directions. Then bake it in jars instead. Here is what I did...
3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. cocoa
Mix dry ingredients well

2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. cooking oil
2 c. cold water
add liquid ingredients and beat by hand
* Take 3 WIDE mouth QUART jars….. Or 6 WIDE mouth PINT jars. Grease and flour. Fill jars almost half full of cake batter.

Place in a pan and bake @ 350ยบ for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. * I used the Quart jars and it took approximately 40 minutes or so. Remove the jars from the oven ONE at a time, wipe the rim, and then cap with simmered canning lid and secure the ring. Cool the jars on a towel until they "ping" and seal. Store on a dark, cool shelf. It didn’t take very long at all to hear the jars ping.

1 comment:

Michelle Ashton said...

The girls and I ate one today and it was YUMMY! It was VERY moist! :)